Oct 24, 2010

I go to the corner, I end up in Spain

If you've never been to Barcelona, I can tell you what it smells like.

Fresh bread, strong coffee, ocean air, and cigarette smoke.

It's pretty much what I imagine heaven smells like.

That's what my kitchen smelled like tonight. Well, almost. I made tortilla espanyola and pa amb tomaquet for dinner -- my two favorite dishes from Barcelona. Between the sound of the potatoes frying and the smell of the bread toasting, it almost felt like I was back in Spain. (I wish.)






Tortilla Espanyola (Spanish Tortilla)

Ingredients:
3 large potatoes
1 large onion
3 eggs
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Peel potatoes and slice into even, thin slices. Fill a saute pan with enough olive oil to cover the potatoes. Heat oil in large pan until bubbling. (If you drop a slice of potato in the oil, it should float.) 

Place potatoes in oil and cook on high heat. While potatoes are cooking, peel and slice the onion in half, and then slice evenly. Just when the potatoes start to brown at the edges, add the onions and cook for a few more minutes on medium heat.

Take the potatoes and onions out of the oil and place on paper towels to drain. Beat 3 eggs in a large bowl and add potato and egg mixture. Stir together until potatoes and onions are fully coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Pour entire mixture into a large frying pan. Once the bottom is browned, flip. (Trick: Put a large plate on top of the frying pan and flip the tortilla onto the plate, then push it back into the frying pan to brown the other side.)

Tortilla espanyola should be cooled a bit before eating. It's also great at room temperature, on french bread, or dipped in aioli. Enjoy!

I'll add the recipe for the Pa Amb Tomaquet (bread with tomato) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment